Job Searching

Font Size Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size
MDES Print this page MDES Email this page MDES Post to Facebook Share Page

Return to Top

General Questions

Do you have any jobs?

Yes, the WIN Job Centers maintain job listings for a variety of occupations. The job listings change frequently and the requirements vary for each job. Come in today and register. If you are already registered, feel free to search for a job on the computer in the resource center or from any computer with internet access.

What types of jobs do you have? 

All types. The WIN Job Centers receive requests to fill job openings in many fields, such as professional, managerial, trade, service, manufacturing, agricultural, and more. The positions range from entry level to highly qualified.

How do I register?

The fastest and easiest way to register is to just click here  and sign in using our Online Services. You will need to set up a user name and password; be sure to secure your user name and password for future reference.  Once you have registered online, it is easy to search available jobs in our system. 

After you sign up once, you can access our Home Page and follow the links under the “I Need a Job” section to the Online Services page.  You will need your user name and password to sign in.

Is there a fee to apply for jobs?

There is no fee to apply for any job listed through MDES. If you are referred to a job and are asked to pay a fee, DO NOT PAY the fee and contact your nearest WIN Job Center immediately. 

How do I keep my application active?

Your application remains active for 90 days. Some WIN Job Centers require you to report in person to keep your application active and others can renew your application over the telephone. When you register in your local office, the employment representative will advise you on the requirements in that particular office.

Do I need to register in different offices to look for a job in different locations? 

No, all of the job listings are listed in the computer in a job bank network that allows you to access jobs locally, statewide, and across the nation. If you find a job you are interested in and qualified for, the staff in your local office can refer you.

What is minimum wage? 

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. There are a few exceptions, however.

Can my employer fire me for no reason?

Basically, yes, as long as it is not for discriminatory reasons. Mississippi is an "at will" state, which means an employer can fire an employee for any or no reason, as long as it is not discriminatory.

What kind of training/school do you have available? 

Training opportunities vary from office to office, depending on the labor market needs in the area and the funding for the programs. Visit your local WIN Job Center for more information.

What does it cost to use your services? 

Nothing, all of our services are free of charge.

Is Mississippi a "right to work" state, and if so, what does that mean?

No, Mississippi is not a "right to work" state, it is an "at-will" state, which means if an employee is not under contract, he or she is an at will employee. An employer can dismiss an at-will employee at any time for any non-discriminatory reason.

What is the WIN program?

WIN stands for Workforce Investment Network, which is an innovative strategy designed to provide convenient, one-stop employment and training services to employers and individuals searching for a job. Combining federal, state, and community workforce programs and services, WIN in Mississippi creates a system that is both convenient and user-friendly.

What is the difference between the employment office and the unemployment office? 

There is no difference. The WIN Job Center offers both employment and unemployment services. The WIN Job Center lists job openings, refers job seekers to interviews, training or school, veteran services, supportive services and a variety of other programs. In addition, the WIN Job Center determines eligibility for unemployment benefits, provides assistance and information to employers concerning the UI tax program, and collects UI taxes from employers.

What is WIA?

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is a federally funded program to implement job training and employment programs. It offers a wide range of services such as workshops, career counseling and planning, referral to training, resource room equipment (internet access on computers, fax, copier, printers, etc.) and services to youth, dislocated workers, and older workers.

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 (WIOA) was signed into law on July 22, 2014 and supersedes the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA).

What is WIOA?

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into law on July 22, 2014. WIOA is designed to help job candidates access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy. This was the first legislative reform of the public workforce system in more than 15 years.

Return to Top

Job Corps

Where are the Job Corps centers located?

Job Corps centers are located all over the nation. The three (3) Job Corps Centers in Mississippi are in Gulfport, Batesville and Crystal Springs.

Who pays for me to go to Job Corps? 

Job Corps is a federally funded program for at-risk youth. The program will pay YOU a small amount each week for personal expenses. Also, your basic medical expenses will be paid while you are in the program

Where will I live? 

If you are chosen to participate in Job Corps, you will live on the campus where the Job Corps center is located. You will have up to three roommates in a diverse population and your meals will be provided. You will live as you would on a college campus.

What types of training and education will I get?

You will be able to earn your GED or high school diploma, possibly attend the local community college, and learn a career skill.

Return to Top

On-the-Job Training

As a job seeker, how can On-the-Job Training help me?

The On-the-Job Training program matches unemployed workers with an employer. It allows you to gain skills and knowledge of a job that you would otherwise not be able to obtain.

Return to Top

Trade Act

What is TAA? 

The Trade Act of 1974, which was enacted in 1975, was designed to help industry become more competitive internationally. Among its provisions is TAA, which stands for Trade Adjustment Assistance, a federally mandated program created for those workers who lose their jobs due to foreign competition.

What is TRA?     

Also provided for as part of the Trade Act of 1974, Trade Readjustment Allowance is extended unemployment insurance for workers that meet certain eligibility requirements.

When should a petition be filed for trade assistance? 

If a plant, factory, or production business closes or downsizes as a result of increased imports of foreign products or there is a shift in production to a foreign country.

Who is authorized to file a petition on behalf of dislocated workers? 

A petition can be filed by a company official, a group of three (3) workers, a duly authorized representative of the worker, One Stop Operators or partners, State Workforce Agencies or Dislocated Worker Units.

What are some of the services offered under the Trade Act? 

Reemployment services, training, job search allowance, relocation allowance, Health Coverage Tax Credit, the Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance program for Older Workers and Trade Readjustment benefits.

What if I have more questions regarding TAA or TRA? 

If you have more questions, select here.

Return to Top

Labor Issues

What if I have questions about discrimination, my wages or workers compensation?

For frequently asked questions regarding issues resolved by the Department of Labor, such as discrimination, disabilities, veterans, wages, workers compensation, youth and others, or services, such as Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) or Job Corps, select the link below.

More FAQ's about Labor Issues